Re: A Red Hat user's introduction to Debian

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 22:55, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
> I am getting tired of the asssimilation "easy distribution" with
> "distro for newbies".  It has also as a side effect some people
> believe that chnaging to a difficult distribution will maek them
> as elite.  To begin with difficult distribution provide little or
> nothing more when you are an advanced user: they would be better
> described as distributions who are crippled for newbies than as
> distros for advanced users.   Second: if you are a REAL top notch
> person then your time is valuable and should be put to better use
> than struggling with printers and X configurations.  One of those
> top notch people is a such Linus who is a notorious user of "distros
> for beginners".
I would tend to agree. It is not really for advanced users - would be a
nice experience for someone who is learning the innards of Unix, to
configure a more bare-bones distribution at least once.

> Holy ghost.   From your description they are behind what RedHat and others
> were shipping in late 1994 for configuring X.  Not to mention that on PCI boxes
> the installer does not need to ask questions about video card since all the
> answers are in /proc/pci.  Not to mention that with EDD the installer can
> query the monitor about its capabilities.  And since there are GPL programs
> handling all this the only reason for not taking advantage of EDD and
> /proc/pci is Not_Invented_Here and arrogance.

To be fair to Debian, it's probably their insistence that all their
platforms are equal, hindering the more advanced platforms in terms of
such niceties as automatic hardware probing. 11 supported
distributions... ouch. They should just maintain the Progeny installer
for x86, IMHO, until their 'next-generation installer' - the one that
supposedly will be modular and can have both TUI and GUI (hmm...
anaconda?) is ready.

Of course, their other problem is 'but apt-get dist-upgrade works, why
should I work my ass off on an installer?'

Is EDD the French term for DDC?

Regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim