Re: ReiserFS in Installations

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 14:53, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:

> What I would like to know is why some people are fetichistic about
> ReiserFS.  While since some people have ReiserFS partitions
> I understand the need for supposrting ReiserFS in
> upgrades a thing RedHat 7.2 and I think 7.1 provided, I fail to see
> why anyone would want to set a NEW ReiserFS partition.   Contrarily
> to ext3 it does not keep data coherency, its partitions cannot be
> read by older kernels and it does not allow upgrade in place.
> Contrarily to XFS it does not support ACLs and it suffers of
> performance hiccups who make it unusable for streaming.  It also
> looks like it is slower than XFS and I have noticed in some cases
> it is quite slow
> at recovering from crashes while XFS is ever blindingly fast.
> Contrarily to JFS it cannot be resised on the fly.
>
> So what is so special about ReiserFS?

I agree with everything you said, especially with the "fetichistic" part
:-) and the comparison with XFS.

However, there is one thing ReiserFS is good at: creating/removing lots
of small files, especially in a single directory. That's why it's quite
good for Squid and news spools.

--
Florin Andrei

There's nothing to be ashamed of in coming up with the obvious,
especially when nobody else is coming up with it.