Re: ReiserFS in Installations

Jean Francois Martinez wrote:

>On Fri, 3 May 2002 23:31:39 +0200
>"Florian Lindner" <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>will it be possible to choose ReiserFS as the filesystem type while
>>performing the graphical installation in Redhat 7.2/8.0 ?
>>

>What I would like to know is why some people are fetichistic about
>ReiserFS.  While since some people have ReiserFS partitions
>I understand the need for supposrting ReiserFS in
>upgrades a thing RedHat 7.2 and I think 7.1 provided, I fail to see
>why anyone would want to set a NEW ReiserFS partition.   Contrarily
>to ext3 it does not keep data coherency, its partitions cannot be
>read by older kernels and it does not allow upgrade in place.
>Contrarily to XFS it does not support ACLs and it suffers of
>performance hiccups who make it unusable for streaming.  It also
>looks like it is slower than XFS and I have noticed in some cases
>it is quite slow
>at recovering from crashes while XFS is ever blindingly fast.
>Contrarily to JFS it cannot be resised on the fly.
>
>So what is so special about ReiserFS?

Have not played with XFS so I cannot comment but I have one system here
I have to use Reiser on becasue it has about 1.5 million files and I
could not create a file system with enough inodes using ext2.

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (416)585-9971
Interlink Connectivity        ||   fax:   (416)585-9974
alvin@iplink.net              ||