Re: it's so disappointing

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 05:59:21PM -0500, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Genti A. Hila wrote:
> > It's so disappointing to me the RedHat announcement, I became aware of it
> > just today.
> > I've been using it for a period of one year and a half and i was hoping by
> > this time to go deeper in it, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
> > I guess Microsoft should be pretty happy now.
> > Fedora, oh fedora seems a nice experimenting platform, but it is not nice
> > for users anymore, it's nice for RedHat Inc, which can experiment its future
> > business products.
>
> Have you even tried Fedora?
>
> > I am still confused and not yet decided what to do now, but I am seriously
> > thinking on moving to Debian or some other open source platform.
> >
> > It is so dissapointing .......
> > RedHat betrayed opensource
>
> Red Hat betrayed open source? How, by opening up the development
> process and sponsoring a community centric linux distribution?

What I'm surprised by is the large sentiment that Red Hat has given up.
For those of us, and I'm hoping that it was large percentage of us, that
bought RHN subscriptions, Red Hat Professional Workstation is an
excellent platform to go to.  For only $82 (buy.com), you're getting
what you used to pay $60 for (RHN), plus the CDs.  You get all the
updates and the longer life that this stable platform gives you.  It's
still based on open source, and the price is relatively low cost.  It's
missing a few server packages but not that many that most people will
notice.  Apache, sendmail, postfix, imap, sshd, nfs server, samba -
they're all there.  It's what I'm running at home, and I certainly have
no complaints.  It's the Enterprise product (RHEL WS to be exact) with
the consumer price.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx