Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 17:39, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 05:32:57PM -0600, Bret Hughes wrote:
> > How can you say that?  Did I miss a memo? Have you been sitting in the
> > strategy planning meetings with Young et. al.? (and so on...)
>
> Easy, now.  I think the meaning is that, even if RedHat doesn't
> intend/want to compete in this segment, handing Microsoft a weapon like
> this isn't in anyone's best interests; it'd have been better to say
> nothing at all.  You *know* Microsoft will take parts of the statement
> out of context and will trumpet this to the heavens.
>
> > Most people will never even know that the comment was made and therefore
> > will not decide one way or another based on it.
>
> Oh, I think Microsoft will make da*n certain that most people see some form
> of this comment...

Perhaps I did over react.  I still think that there is not a great deal
lost since it is in fact no ready.  One could also make the argument
that MS will not do much with it since to educate users that some are
even considering selling to the average user that it might encourage
some to try it that would not otherwise.

I don't think that linux is hurting MS in the home arena yet anyway.  It
is the loss in server revenue that has got to be causing Balmer grief
right now.  Of course in the future the loss of a substantial portion of
the desktop market hits MS with a double whammy.  OS sales and Office
sales.  Office is a huge cash cow for MS with earnings around 70% of
sales, a mind boggling number imho.

Bret