Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 15:33, Joe Polk wrote:
> This was an idiotic thing to say. RH doesn't have any desktop aspirations, so
> the idea that they are being honest about their shortcomings doesn't hold.

How can you say that?  Did I miss a memo? Have you been sitting in the
strategy planning meetings with Young et. al.?  Just because a company
decides to focus on a specific market segment deemed to provide the best
ROI right now, does not mean that there is not a plan to reevaluate
periodically in the future, and once conditions are right, to go for
it.  I believe that if they had no desktop plans there would not be any
desktop/workstation offerings at all.  everything on the server can be
done via an http or some other client/server interface if all they were
interested in was building some sort of server appliance.

I don't believe that RH short comings are what was being referred to at
all, but rather an honest evaluation of (or statement of opinion on) the
state of the linux environment as a whole from an informed source.  I
happen to agree with the statement so I suppose that might taint my
point of view.

Remember, RH does not develop the vast majority of what they
distribute.  Enhance? Yes. RH personnel involved in development and bug
fixes? Yes. But control development of? No.

Don't get me wrong.  I am a linux advocate.  I have built our entire
business on the backs of the linux developers including those from Red
Hat and trying to give back to the community is one of the reasons I
stay on this list and help when I can.  Occasionally I rant and rave and
yes, even offer my opinion on certain topics, even when occasionally
someone thinks my opinion is idiotic.  That sort of pissed me off BTW.

I simply see a lot of sense in what Red Hat has done even though it is
going to cost me more resources (either time or money) to enhance our
system with what they have decided to do.

> I'm not debating whether what they said was true, but rather whether it was
> the right thing to say. It's like an officer in an army saying "We have
> better trained, better armed men in many ways but we're outnumbered. I think
> as an all-around army our enemy is superior for now. Yet, with what we have,
> applied correctly, we should be able to take them given time."  Do you wanna
> fight for this guy? I don't think so.

I think it is more like a officer saying "Lets build up our arsenal and
kick some ass when we are ready rather than get a lot of guys killed by
going before we are ready".  I would fight for that guy and in a way I
guess I do.  Of course if you take the approach that RH has completely
given up on the desktop then I can see why you might not agree with me.
I just do not happen to agree with your premise.

I believe "The Cause" is better served by waiting until it is easier
still for the average user to use linux, whether redhat or otherwise,
before going out an convincing a lot of users to try it and leaving them
with a bad taste in their mouths or even broken teeth.  End users with a
bad experience under their belt will wait a long time before trying
again.

Most people will never even know that the comment was made and therefore
will not decide one way or another based on it.

JAPIO (just another potentially idiotic opinion)

Bret