Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 05:05, T. Ribbrock wrote:

> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39117575,00.htm
>
> "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"
>
> <quote>
<snip>
> </quote>
>
> Well. I *can* see his point, at least a little bit - but it still
> feels strange, this coming from Red Hat.
> Anybody else who shares this view?

Other thread was getting to deep and I guess I am taking a different
view than most of the others anyway.

Quasi random thoughts on the thread.

I think it is absolutely the right thing to do/say.  It is called
integrity.  In the long term it will help I believe.  A company that is
concerned about over promising and under delivering?  How can that be a
bad thing?  The vast majority of windows home users can barely find the
on off switch, does not even know what a driver is, let alone how to get
one for a piece of hardware, and wants things to simply work.  For the
most part MS and AOL provide this exceedingly well.  Apple does it even
better, IMNSHO.  If it does not work then "I guess this can't be done"
is the response.

Of course I have been in hardware driver hell in windows that was as bad
as anything I have encountered in linux.

What I wish the quote would have said is that until hardware vendors
start supporting linux by either opening up their code or writing
drivers themselves windows will be be the best choice.  THings are
improving but obviously there is a ling way to go.

A caveat about security would be nice too.

Novell/SUSE  is very interesting especially since SUSE has such a large
european market share.  I hope anti-American sentiment does not hurt
them in that market.  MicroSoft has so thoroughly pissed off the German
government that there is probably some baggage associated with an
American company buying German SUSE.  If played right they can probably
leverage this anti MS sentiment while guiding (changed from driving)
linux deeper into Corporate Europe and then the home.

I believe that focusing on Corporations and education institutions is
the way to go to achieve sustainable growth in the home market.  Most
folks are not going to spend too much time learning a different
computing environment than what they use at work or at school, unless
the pain of not doing so is too great, and so heading into this market
first makes a lot of sense to me.

Bret