Re: Red Hat Professional Workstation

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 11:01, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On 29 Oct 2003 09:32:31 -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:

> > I've confirmed that this cost stays the same for RHEL, by logging into
> > RHN using my RHAS accounts.  So, I'm starting to think that the initial
> > cost of the RHEL products ($179/349 for WS/ES, respectively) is only
> > that, a one-time cost, and that you *can* purchase up2date patching for
> > $60/year.
> >
> > Can someone from Red Hat *please* stand up and clarify this?
>
> This is another topic that reoccurs periodically because the web pages
> aren't clear about it, and people prefer asking questions on
> mailing-lists or message boards instead of calling Red Hat Sales.

If you would've followed this thread closer, you would've read that I
*have* called Red Hat Sales previously and have been given contradictory
information.  Unless your email address ends in "@redhat.com", you
weren't obliged to stand up and clarify it.

> First of all, you mix Red Hat Network (RHN) and Red Hat Enterprise
> Network (RHEN). Red Hat Linux, Fedora Core and Red Hat Professional
> Workstation receive updates from RHN, Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> *includes* access to RHEN for one year. You don't need to purchase an
> extra account. After one year, you cannot simply purchase a RHN
> account because that doesn't give you access to RHEN. Btw, AS/ES/WS
> are licenced per installed machine (see service level agreement).

Both RHEL and non-RHEL accounts use https://rhn.redhat.com as the access
point for RHN management/patches.  Perhaps you'd like to explain where
your RHEN comes in, as everything I've read on the RHEL page refers to
RHN as RHN.  In fact, http://www.redhat.com/software/rhen is even a
redirect to http://www.redhat.com/software/rhn.  I think you're
referring to some out-of-date PR terminologies.

Everyone else seems to understand my confusion (excuse the irony), maybe
you're confused by my confusion.  ;-)

It really doesn't matter, now knowing (thanks Ed!) that Red Hat releases
RHEL errata in SRPMS.  My concern, with regards to SOHO, is only about
the patches.  No RHN, no license subscriptions, just the patches.
Perhaps I haven't made that clear.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting