Re: Red Hat Professional Workstation

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 21:56, Ed Wilts wrote:

> WS is $179 *per year*.  ES is $349 *per year*.  Even if I have to buy
> the full RHPW every year ($82 plus shipping), it's still cheaper than
> RHEL WS.  RHPW is also SMP - it's supported for up to 2 CPUs, just like ES.
>
> I believe that whoever told you the lifecycle was only 1 year was
> mistaken and I'm working on getting that clarified.  Since RHEL WS has a
> 5 year life cycle, it makes absolutely no sense for RHPW to have only a
> 1 year life cycle.

Doesn't it?

Ok, allow me to pout for a moment.  $349 a year for RHES?  I hate to say
it, but none of them (RHPW included) really sound like much of a bargain
for the SOHO customer.

Is it possible to renew only the RHN (patches) for RHPW on a yearly
basis?  Even if it is, here's the catch... although you can always
install server software (Samba, Bind, etc.), you won't have access to
the errata.  This still leaves a gaping hole for SOHO customers, IMHO.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting