Re: Red Hat Professional Workstation

On 29 Oct 2003 11:20:04 -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 11:01, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On 29 Oct 2003 09:32:31 -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
>
> > > I've confirmed that this cost stays the same for RHEL, by logging into
> > > RHN using my RHAS accounts.  So, I'm starting to think that the initial
> > > cost of the RHEL products ($179/349 for WS/ES, respectively) is only
> > > that, a one-time cost, and that you *can* purchase up2date patching for
> > > $60/year.
> > >
> > > Can someone from Red Hat *please* stand up and clarify this?
> >
> > This is another topic that reoccurs periodically because the web pages
> > aren't clear about it, and people prefer asking questions on
> > mailing-lists or message boards instead of calling Red Hat Sales.
>
> If you would've followed this thread closer, you would've read that I
> *have* called Red Hat Sales previously and have been given contradictory
> information.

Huh? Above is a new topic. Please point me to the place in the list
archives where you have reported on Red Hat Sales' info about RHEL
pricing model.

> Unless your email address ends in "@redhat.com", you
> weren't obliged to stand up and clarify it.

You have an attitude problem. This is a public mailing-list.

Whether the pricing of Red Hat Enterprise Linux is per year has been
discussed several times.

RHEL contains one year of errata support via RHEN. Why would you
want to purchase an additional normal RHN account?

> Both RHEL and non-RHEL accounts use https://rhn.redhat.com as the access
> point for RHN management/patches.  Perhaps you'd like to explain where
> your RHEN comes in, as everything I've read on the RHEL page refers to
> RHN as RHN.  In fact, http://www.redhat.com/software/rhen is even a
> redirect to http://www.redhat.com/software/rhn.  I think you're
> referring to some out-of-date PR terminologies.

A RHN account does not entitle you to updates for Red Hat Enterprise
Linux. You need a licence.