Re: Red Hat Professional Workstation

On 29 Oct 2003 09:32:31 -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:

> http://www.redhat.com/software/rhn/management/table/
>
> And moving onto the Red Hat store, I see the following price structure:
>
> Update Service Entitlement - $60/year for one system
> Management Entitlement (RHN) - $96/year for one system
> Management Entitlement (RHN) - $456/year for 5 systems
> Management Entitlement (RHN) - $816/year for 10 systems
>
> I've confirmed that this cost stays the same for RHEL, by logging into
> RHN using my RHAS accounts.  So, I'm starting to think that the initial
> cost of the RHEL products ($179/349 for WS/ES, respectively) is only
> that, a one-time cost, and that you *can* purchase up2date patching for
> $60/year.
>
> Can someone from Red Hat *please* stand up and clarify this?

This is another topic that reoccurs periodically because the web pages
aren't clear about it, and people prefer asking questions on
mailing-lists or message boards instead of calling Red Hat Sales.

First of all, you mix Red Hat Network (RHN) and Red Hat Enterprise
Network (RHEN). Red Hat Linux, Fedora Core and Red Hat Professional
Workstation receive updates from RHN, Red Hat Enterprise Linux
*includes* access to RHEN for one year. You don't need to purchase an
extra account. After one year, you cannot simply purchase a RHN
account because that doesn't give you access to RHEN. Btw, AS/ES/WS
are licenced per installed machine (see service level agreement).