Re: Red Hat Professional Workstation

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 09:11, Dave Ihnat wrote:

> Ok, let me get this straight.  I buy one of the RH professional packages--
> if I'm willing to spend the time and effort to manually identify, DL and
> install errata--effectively what I've done for an RH 6.2 installation,
> until I had to start DLing and building the source distros--I can't do
> that any more?  That is, errata and package updates aren't available
> in any way if you don't buy support?

Exactamundo.  This is the case with all RHEL products, from my
experience.  Now, I just renewed the demo account for RH9 on my laptop
this morning.  I decided to take them up on their offer and see how much
paid support would cost.  Looking at their RHN product/support page,
they offer 4 layers of patching support:  updates, Managed, Managed +
Proxy, and Managed + Satellite.

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhn/management/table/

And moving onto the Red Hat store, I see the following price structure:

Update Service Entitlement - $60/year for one system
Management Entitlement (RHN) - $96/year for one system
Management Entitlement (RHN) - $456/year for 5 systems
Management Entitlement (RHN) - $816/year for 10 systems

I've confirmed that this cost stays the same for RHEL, by logging into
RHN using my RHAS accounts.  So, I'm starting to think that the initial
cost of the RHEL products ($179/349 for WS/ES, respectively) is only
that, a one-time cost, and that you *can* purchase up2date patching for
$60/year.

Can someone from Red Hat *please* stand up and clarify this?

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting