Re: FAQ (was: Lousy answers)

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 03:28, T. Ribbrock wrote:
> <snip>

> Yes, that's exactly my point. If I'm on a mailing list I've recently
> joined (or that I don't follow closely) and if I have a question
> (doesn't matter which topic), the *first* thing I do is to check whether
> the list has an archive, then search the archive. If I can't find the
> answer or can't understand the answer I've found, then I post.
> That should be the *default* behaviour of everyone using this medium, out
> of common courtesy with regard to the other list members. Also, it's
> common Netiquette. Hence, I consider it important to politely remind
> people of this when necessary.
>
> Having said that, I tend to be more lenient on RHL lists, as there are
> no obvious, usable archives for RH's list, a great failure on RH's
> part. IMO, this really shows their lack of support for "ordinary
> users" (and has done so for some years). Not everybody knows about
> MARC (see sig), so I can't really blame anyone for not searching the
> archives for this list. Again, this is Red Hat's fault.
>

> [...]
> > As someone else said, if you don't like the question, don't answer.
>
> And let everybody think that such behaviour (i.e. *not* using
> documentation/archives) is ok? If that was the case, this list would
> become unusable soon. I've seen very helpful people leave the list due
> to high traffic and too many FAQs in the past and I'd rather not see
> it again. However, I repeat: *Never* answer in a rude way (which is
> also common Nettiquette).
>
> Cheerio,
>
> Thomas
<snip>
Well, then, if we are to look up the answers ourselves, and frankly the
resources in a lot of cases are lacking, incomplete, etc., and we aren't
welcomed here to ask questions, then what good is this list? I have been
on bb's, Compuserve groups, lists, etc, almost since the first PCs got
online. This is the first time I have been involved with a list that
doesn't want to answer questions or share experiences. Maybe it is my
history, but one of the best lists/groups/forums, I ever was involved
with was the Homebrewers. There was often flame wars started over who
had the better mill, Listerman was a member of the group, or what hops
were better, or whether it was better to be all grain, extract, etc. But
we all took this lightly. Every time a flame war erupted, we just said
there we go again. It was a great group of guys, one of which was Pete
Slosberg, you know Pete's Wicked? We all were there to answer questions
and help the newbies. Not once did someone say, RTFB before you ask a
question. Not once did I hear someone say, we're not going to answer
unless you search the archives, or Alta Vista (Google wasn't around
then). And you know what? The group didn't fade away because it had been
asked the 900th time whether it was better to bottle or keg. Rather, it
faded because of the explosion of the Internet and free
forums/lists/groups. (This particular forum was on Compuserve). My point
is that a forum/list/group should be there to help people. I never heard
once someone deride someone else to read the archives/etc, before coming
and asking a question. Hell, half the time, someone would come in and
ask if Dan (Listermann) had come out with a new version of his malt
mill, which would erupt a flame war over whose was best. Oops, there we
go again. In the end, we all laughed, exchanged ideas, and had fun. I
guess it was our motto, Don't Worry Have a Homebrew!
The world was a friendlier place back then.