RE: Linux - Win Xp home network - shared files

What these guys said is correct but it is easier for a Samba newbie to just install webmin
which is a web based interface for managing Linux.  It is easy to install and easy to use.
If you want the Windoze machine to be seen by Linux put it in a workgroup and share you
drives.  Then in Linux gointo webmin and gotot services click on samba.  There you can tell
Samba what workgroup it is a part of.  You can also create shares here in Webmin which will
allow Windows to see your Linux computer.  If you are just at home you might want to force
root group and user to make thing easier for you.  Not too much of a security risk at home.

Ok now you need to create samba users for your Windows machine.  Create a Linux user with the
same user name windows has.  You can do this command line or goto users and groups in
Redhat(Kde or Gnome)  After you do that go back to Samba in Webmin and there is a button that
will make Linux users Samba users.  Click that.  It will only make users in groups above 500,
I think, users.  Which is good so root, appachee, etc don't become users.  There is also a button here that makes Samba make a Samba user everytime a Linux one is created.  You can
click that if you choose.

At this point you should be good to go.  Hit start samba in webmin or apply changes and you
should be good to go.  Go to your WIndows box and click on your workgroup and browse you
Linux machine.  Go into network(Gnome) and click on your workgroup.  Go into Konquorer
and you could browse to your Windose machine a few different way.  Good luck.