Re: FAQ (was: Lousy answers)

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 04:15, T. Ribbrock wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:29:37AM +0200, Jim Herrick wrote:
> > Sounds like we need an FAQ!
>
> The problem is, that - according to experience - those that are too
> lazy to read the documentation or use Google/archives are too lazy to
> read the FAQ as well, so it won't help as much as desired...
>
> Nonetheless, there have been several efforts to do so, though I don't
> know what became of them. Check the archive... ;-) (see sig for a
> working archive of this list)
>
> Cheerio,
>
> Thomas
> --
The point I was trying to make was that the incident that I initially
spoke out on was when a list member returned to the list, said just
that, and asked if there was any word on RH10. Now think about it for a
moment, he hasn't been here to hear that there will be no 10. If he goes
to Red Hat's site, there is no mention of version 10. So he asked to see
if anyone had heard. Regardless of the fact that it has been hashed and
rehashed, he wasn't here. I don't recall getting an email from Red Hat
telling me that there wouldn't be a 10. So as far as I was concerned the
response should have been, hey Welcome back! Sorry, but there won't be a
10. They are going to the Fedora Project, check it out at ...
Instead he got trashed for not reading the archives, googling, using
divination, consulting his runes, etc. Not very welcoming indeed. If I
were a new user, I would be a bit put off.
I guess the thing is that I see these lists as more than just
information sources, but rather as a place of camaraderie amongst the
combatants against the evil empire. Okay, maybe not that bad. How about
friends at my local pub. NORM! As someone else said, if you don't like
the question, don't answer.
Just my 2 pence