Lousy answers [was: Re: Is mysql 4.x in future Redhat release]

Hi there list.

I just felt something had to be said here. In the last few weeks I've seen a
lot of really lousy answers, the most of them with the Red Hat 10/Fedora
stuff, but there have been others. Every now and then someone new stops in
to the list and asks a question everybody else has already made. Of course
google'n before asking would reduce mail load on the list, but maybe a
newbie is stunned by 230000 results, most of them speaking of things he/her
doesn't really understand yet. Maybe it's easier to get a direct and simple
answer form someone who had/has the same problem and has already solved it.

As far as I remember, it's not mandatory for someone to answer. So if you
don't have anything intelligent to say, just shut your mouth. I'm sure if we
check the list's stats, absurd answers talking about google, any other
search engine or references like "check a post from 1967 when this was
already...", might sum the same load than all the questions made twice.

The point is: if talking (again) about a subject really annoys you, then
simply don't talk. You'll be more polite that way. Maybe your crappy answers
annoy the list even more that a repeated question annoys you.

Regards,

Reven