Re: Lousy answers

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 02:59:23AM +0200, R Sánchez wrote:
> I just felt something had to be said here. In the last few weeks I've seen a
> lot of really lousy answers, the most of them with the Red Hat 10/Fedora
> stuff, but there have been others. Every now and then someone new stops in
> to the list and asks a question everybody else has already made. Of course
> google'n before asking would reduce mail load on the list, but maybe a
> newbie is stunned by 230000 results, most of them speaking of things he/her
> doesn't really understand yet. Maybe it's easier to get a direct and simple
> answer form someone who had/has the same problem and has already solved it.
[...]

I for one have no problem with someone asking something "again", if he
indicates that he's tried to find an answer and wasn't able to understand
what he found or didn't find it (understandably, as Red Hat has failed to
provide working archives for several YEARS now - they're not interested
in supporting the lists properly). The information out there can be
intimidating at times, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's more
than happy to help in such a case.

However, just asking a question without doing at least *some* "home
work" beforehand just because it's "easier" is just plain rude and an
abuse of the resources of the list in my eyes.
Hence, *politely* pointing this out to the person in question, preferably
with some pointers to sources of information he could have used is the
correct way to answer. Further, this is also the best answer, as it will
help the person to help himself in the future.

The emphasis, however, lies on *politely*. Even though I can
understand the frustration of some list members when question X (that
could have been solved in 5 minutes using available resources) comes
along for the umpteenth time, that's no excuse for a rude answer.

And while we're at it: A working archive for this list can be found at
the URL given in my signature. Would it be an idea if more people did
this?

Cheerio,

Thomas