Re: FAQ (was: Lousy answers)

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:11:43PM -0400, Edward Croft wrote
> The point I was trying to make was that the incident that I initially
> spoke out on was when a list member returned to the list, said just
> that, and asked if there was any word on RH10. Now think about it for a
> moment, he hasn't been here to hear that there will be no 10. If he goes
> to Red Hat's site, there is no mention of version 10. So he asked to see
> if anyone had heard. Regardless of the fact that it has been hashed and
> rehashed, he wasn't here.
[...]

Yes, that's exactly my point. If I'm on a mailing list I've recently
joined (or that I don't follow closely) and if I have a question
(doesn't matter which topic), the *first* thing I do is to check whether
the list has an archive, then search the archive. If I can't find the
answer or can't understand the answer I've found, then I post.
That should be the *default* behaviour of everyone using this medium, out
of common courtesy with regard to the other list members. Also, it's
common Netiquette. Hence, I consider it important to politely remind
people of this when necessary.

Having said that, I tend to be more lenient on RHL lists, as there are
no obvious, usable archives for RH's list, a great failure on RH's
part. IMO, this really shows their lack of support for "ordinary
users" (and has done so for some years). Not everybody knows about
MARC (see sig), so I can't really blame anyone for not searching the
archives for this list. Again, this is Red Hat's fault.

[...]
> As someone else said, if you don't like the question, don't answer.

And let everybody think that such behaviour (i.e. *not* using
documentation/archives) is ok? If that was the case, this list would
become unusable soon. I've seen very helpful people leave the list due
to high traffic and too many FAQs in the past and I'd rather not see
it again. However, I repeat: *Never* answer in a rude way (which is
also common Nettiquette).

Cheerio,

Thomas