Re: Recommend multi port ethernet adapter?

On 08:13 16 Oct 2003, Thierry ITTY <thierry.itty@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| A 13:37 15/10/2003 -0400, vous avez ?crit :
| >I am using Red Hat version 9 to build a multiple network router and
| >firewall. I'll need a couple of either dual port or four port 100mb
| >network adapters.
|
| if your network backbone supports this, you might consider using VLANs
| instead multiple physical NICs
| so you define for example an "inside", a "dmz", and an "outside" virtual
| interface, and configure the switch your machine is connected to accordingly.

That doesn't really work (with CISCOish VLANs, anyway). A VLAN will
basicly prevent you using the other IPs in the networks not matching
"the" vlan of the port.

Besides, physical separation is a good thing to have, rather than trusting
your switch never to get its VLANs mucked up.

Back on the core copic, it's possible to get (at least) dual port Intel
EEPro100 cards; we've got one in a firewall I help look after. Seems
to work.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Dope will carry you through times of no money better than money will carry
you through times of no dope!   - Freewheelin' Franklin