Re: On mdadm 3.2 and bad-block-log

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:21:45 +0200 Asdo <asdo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/17/12 03:49, NeilBrown wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:56:27 +0200 Asdo<asdo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> >
> > Yes, there is a degree to which your data is at risk. This is always
> > the case with new code. If you upgrade to new -stable kernels as they
> > become available, that should minimise your risk as any fix that could
> > risk data or stability is backported to these -stable kernels.
>
> I am on kernel 3.4, that's "stable", right?

3.4.5 is the latest kernel in the 3.4.y stable series.
It contains:
 - a fix for bad-block handling in RAID5
 - a fix for a ref-counting bug in RAID5 that can trigger when updating
   the bad block list

So if you are using bad-block-logs on RAID5 you should definitely upgrade
to 3.4.5.  If some other level ... then it is probably a good idea to upgrade
anyway.

> > I don't know of any particularly serious bugs that have been found - they
> > mostly are triggered by unusual conditions.  However unusual conditions do
> > happen.
> >
> > Thank you for using and testing the code.  Has md found and recorded any bad
> > blocks for you, or are your bad-block logs still empty?
>
> Still empty for now
> They are filled only on read error + failed block rewrite, right? That
> will take a long time to happen...

They can also be filled on a read-error during recovery of one device fails.
It is quite likely that none of this will happen for years.  But it might
happen tomorrow.

> Thanks for your work
:-)

NeilBrown