Re: On mdadm 3.2 and bad-block-log

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:40:57 +0300 Alexander Lyakas <alex.bolshoy@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi Neil,
> can you pls clarify whether the bad block management code in existing
> kernels is still considered experimental, and that's the reason there
> is no mdadm 3.3.x release yet?

Given that you are finding bugs in it - yes, it is still experimental :-)

The reason there is no 3.3.x release yet is that the amount of stuff that I
want to include in 3.3 has grown substantially and as the bad block code is
clearly still buggy, I probably don't want to rush it out :-)
I'm hoping for August or September for 3.3.  Probably September.

> If yes, which kernel do you recommend to experiment with this feature?

Always the latest.

> If no, should we then use the "devel-3.3" branch of mdadm, which was
> last updated ~1 year ago?

Yes. I'll be pulling that code into 'master' once I've finished some
code-cleanup that I want to do first.

Thanks,
NeilBrown