Re: On mdadm 3.2 and bad-block-log

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:56:27 +0200 Asdo <asdo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Right, that's the reason of my question.
> Neil wrote "I probably don't want to rush it out" so that would mean
> that the buggy code is not "out" yet.
> So that would point to mdadm-3.3 because the bad block code of the
> kernel is already "out".
> However as you say the bad block code in mdadm-3.3 is very simple so
> it's strange that it could be buggy.
>
> Now thinking at myself: if there were bugs in the mdadm-3.3 I probably
> have dodged them because I was able to create the array.
> However if there are known bugs in the kernel code our data is still at
> risk so i'd rather ask.

Yes, there is a degree to which your data is at risk.  This is always the
case with new code.
If you upgrade to new -stable kernels as they become available, that should
minimise your risk as any fix that could risk data or stability is backported
to these -stable kernels.

I don't know of any particularly serious bugs that have been found - they
mostly are triggered by unusual conditions.  However unusual conditions do
happen.

Thank you for using and testing the code.  Has md found and recorded any bad
blocks for you, or are your bad-block logs still empty?

NeilBrown