Re: ext3 journal on software raid (was Re: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.6.10 crashing repeatedly and hard)

Maarten <maarten@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 January 2005 11:18, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> > Maarten <maarten@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > It's not "my" data center.  It is what it is.  I can only control
> > certain things in it, such as the software on the machines, and which
> > machines are bought.  Nor is it a "data center", but a working
> > environment for about 200 scientists and engineers, plus thousands of
> > incompetent monkeys.  I.e., a university department.
> >
> > It would be good of you to refrain from justifications based on
> > denigration.
>
> I seem to recall you starting off boasting about the systems you had in place,

I'm not "boasting"  about them. They simply ARE.

> with the rsync mirroring and all-servers-bought-in-duplicate.  If then later

That's what there is.  Is that supposed to be boasting?  The servers are
always bought in pairs.  They always failover to each other.  They
contain each others mirrors.  Etc.

> on your whole secure data center turns out to be a school department,

Eh?

> undoubtedly with viruses rampant, students hacking at the schools' systems,

Sure - that's precisely what there is.

> peer to peer networks installed on the big fileservers unbeknownst to the

Uh, no. We don't run windos. Well, it is on the clients, but I simply
sabaotage them whenever I can :). That saves time. Then they can boot
into the right o/s.

> admins, and only mains power when you're lucky, yes, then I get a completely
> other picture than you drew at first.  You can't blame me for that.

I don't "draw any picture". I am simply telling you it as it is.

> This does not mean you're incompetent, it just means you called a univ IT dept
> something that it is not, and never will be: secure, stable and organized.

Eh? It's as secure stable and organised as it can be, given that nobody
is in charge of anything.

> In other words, if you dislike being put down, you best not boast so much.

About what!

> Now you'll have to excuse me, I have things to get done today.

I don't. I just have to go generate some viruses and introduce chaos
into some otherwise perfectly stable systems. Ho hum.

Peter

-