Re: ext3 journal on software raid (was Re: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.6.10 crashing repeatedly and hard)

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 03:41, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 01:22:56PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> > On Monday January 3, ewan.grantham@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > No need to change anything.
>
> Except that Peter says that the ext3 journals should be on separate
> non-mirrored devices and the reason this is not mentioned in any
> documentation (md / ext3) is that everyone sees it as obvious.
> Whether it is true or not it's clear to me that it's not obvious to
> everyone.

Be that as it may, with all that Peter wrote in the last 24 hours I tend to
weigh his expertise a bit less than I did before.  YMMV, but his descriptions
of his data center do not instill a very high confidence, do they ?

While it may be true that genius math people may make lousy server admins (and
vice versa), when I read someone claiming there are random undetected errors
propagating through raid, yet this person cannot even regulate his own
"random, undetected" power supply problems, then I start to wonder.

Would you believe that at one point, for a minute I wondered whether Peter was
actually a troll ?  (yeah, sorry for that, but it happened...)
So no, he apparently is employed at a Spanish university, and he even has a
Freshmeat project entry, something to do with raid...

So I'm left with a blank stare, trying to figure out what to make of it.

Maarten

-