Re: ext3 journal on software raid (was Re: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.6.10 crashing repeatedly and hard)

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 15:13, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> Maarten <maarten@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > It's not "my" data center.  It is what it is.  I can only control
> > > certain things in it, such as the software on the machines, and which
> > > machines are bought.  Nor is it a "data center", but a working
> > > environment for about 200 scientists and engineers, plus thousands of
> > > incompetent monkeys.  I.e., a university department.

> I'm not "boasting"  about them. They simply ARE.

Are you not boasting about it, simply by providing all the little details no
one cares about, except that it makes your story more believable ?

If I state my IQ was tested as above 140, am I then boasting, or simply
stating a fact ?  Stating a fact and boasting are not mutually exclusive.

> > on your whole secure data center turns out to be a school department,
>
> Eh?

What, "Eh?" ?
Are you taking offense to me calling a "university department" a school ?  Is
it not what you are, you are an educational institution, ie. a school.

> > undoubtedly with viruses rampant, students hacking at the schools'
> > systems,
>
> Sure - that's precisely what there is.

Hah. Show me one school where there isn't.

> > peer to peer networks installed on the big fileservers unbeknownst to the
>
> Uh, no. We don't run windos. Well, it is on the clients, but I simply
> sabaotage them whenever I can :). That saves time. Then they can boot
> into the right o/s.

Ehm. p2p exists for linux too.  Look into it.  Are you so dead certain no
student of yours ever found a local root hole ?
Then you have more balls than you can carry.

> Eh? It's as secure stable and organised as it can be, given that nobody
> is in charge of anything.

Normal people usually refer to such a state as "an anarchy".
Not a perfect example of stability, security or organization by any stretch of
the imagination...

Maarten

--

-