Re: Re: updating code asap to multiple domains, windows to unix, with source control software (was: Re: including PHP code from another server..)

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Curtis Maurand <curtis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> rene7705 wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Peter Ford
> <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the rsync man page for the first time, and while it
>>>>
> sure
> multiple remote
> whole series of the same FTP updates to these different
>>>>
> domain
> time because of my
> unix hoster?
>>>>

>>> The first
> time might be slow, but you can then do incremental updates
>>>
> which would be a lot quicker.
>>>
>>> ok, that'll do
> nicely..
>
> Depending upon whether or not you have shell access to
> the hosts, you could update a host and then use rsync from that host to
> the rest.

If rsync will work to your remote hosts, then can I safely assume you
do have ssh access to them (rsync won't work without it unless you can
launch an rsync daemon on your remote hosts).

If so, then I don't think you really want to do the rsync thing at
all, really. Instead, I'd use git or mercurial (or even svn or cvs
will do). When you have your changes ready, push them to a remote
repository (github.com or gitorious.org, say). Then you can pull the
updates from the net by running the corresponding pull from the
repository on the remote hosts.

Let me also say that you should be keeping *everything* you develop in
source control. It goes beyond just being able to backtrack if
necessary, although that has been it's primary function. Keeping track
of your own development efforts, even solo, can be very important to
maintaining your code. Additionally, as you can see above, it aids
greatly in deploying your code. Additionally, if you keep your
repositories for any open source work on a public repository, it's
advertising for your work and a simple off-site backup plan. With
shell access, you can also create your own private repositories on one
of your host accounts.

Anyway, this has drifted far in to the topics of managing and
deploying code, not so much PHP.