Re: Re: updating code asap to multiple domains, windows to unix, with source control software (was: Re: including PHP code from another server..)

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Matijn Woudt <tijnema@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM, rene7705 <rene7705@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Matijn Woudt <tijnema@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> windows
> distribute

> icon
> >>
> >> Are you sure you want to develop on a windows machine, and then push
> >> it out on all of your linux systems? That sounds dangerous to me. It's
> >> much safer to try it on a machine with same configuration as the
> >> production systems first.
> >>
> > Yea, i'm quite sure I want to develop on Windows 7. Ubuntu still has
> quircks
> > when it comes to using 3 monitors on a single system, as far as I know. I
> > just like windows 7 a lot better at the moment.
> > And how would it be dangerous to do so?
> >

> Code that you write on a windows box might work different/not work at
> all on a linux machine. Think of different filesystem, different
> Apache/PHP versions, etc. I have to develop on windows too sometimes,
> and what I usually do in such cases is first push the code to a
> subdomain test.mydomain.com. If that works correctly, I push it over
> to www.mydomain.com.

So far the code that I've written and am using works OK on both windows and
unix.

But I've just booted up my ubuntu installation and am currently upgrading
from 11.04 to 11.10, maybe that fixes the issues I was having with it, and
if it does I'll seriously consider using ubuntu as my primary dev
environment again..