Re: This is the kind of [expletives deleted] answer that is certain to prevent bugs being reported.

Per Jessen wrote:
Daniel Brown wrote:

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 15:25, Per Jessen<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Daniel Brown wrote:
In reality, those are canned responses.  Jani didn't type that up
himself, he just selected it from a drop-down that we have.
In all honesty, that only makes it worse.  To make an effort to
improve on things only to be told to eff off by a machine operated by
a braindead individual.

It's worded very directly so as to reach a broad scope of folks ---
many of whom don't speak English as well as yourself.  So don't take
offense, because it's not meant to be either offensive or
dismissive.
Too late Dan - offense already taken. The response was dimwitted,
offensive and dismissive, intended or not.
    At the risk of sounding redundant or dismissive myself (which I
think you know me well enough by now to know is not the case),

I do.  (it's funny how you can get to "know" someone like that without
ever having met them, but it's a fact).

the best I could suggest would be to file a bug report pertaining to
the wording of the responses.  In all honesty, I don't see much being
done in the way of changing that right away, but I could be wrong
(which, in this case, would be welcome).

I was actually being quite deliberate when I used the word "braindead"
before - the automated click-of-a-button response may have its use, but
one should always be careful with when to use it.  Is there any way of
filing a a bugreport on "jani"?
Nah, perhaps I should file a doc-bug, but to be honest, I can't be
bothered when the PHP project can't. It's a sad state of affairs.
By the way.... it's Friday night there.  Why the heck are you
still sitting in front of a computer?!?

It's 21:55 here and I'm really just a sad old git :-)
Well, I've been busy keeping an eye on my 5 year old most of the day.
His favourite playmate from next door was away today, which meant I
didn't get to do much work until around 1830. (Amongst other things, I
have a decidedly difficult mysql core dump I'm trying to capture).

I understand where you're coming from, and I've been on the same road before with PHP bug reports. And while I remember being really annoyed, especially when it turned out to actually be a bug, I have to say if you define your case clearly and state where either the documentation isn't clear enough, or the code works in an unexpected fashion, then they will usually give it the due consideration. Don't forget nobody is being paid to handle bug reports, it's all on a volunteer basis and I'm quite certain they get oodles of real bogus bugs.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com