Re: Re: Why MS Won't Retire Browsers -- was: Interntet Explorer 8 beater 2

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 23:30 +0100, Stut wrote:

> On 15 Sep 2008, at 22:35, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 16:27 -0500, Philip Thompson wrote:
> >> Speaking of misconceptions...
> >>
> >> Has anyone seen the new M$ commercial where they are asking these
> >> people to review the next version of their OS. Some of the responses
> >> of the people were that they really thought this new OS was cool/
> >> neat/
> >> whatever. Then afterwards, M$ told them it was Vista.
> >>
> >> Society, in general, has a pre-conceived notion about how much Vista
> >> sucks. I'm not here to argue its accuracy, but it does give you a
> >> good
> >> idea about misconceptions.
> >>
> >> Kids, the lesson of the day is: Don't knock it before you try it.
> >>
> >> =D
> >> ~Philip
> >>
> > Ah I'd heard of this story. What you've forgotten to mention was that
> > the computers were all set up on hardware chosen by Microsoft, and all
> > running software especially picked by Microsoft. Now, I'd hazard a
> > guess
> > that even Microsoft is smart enough to pick a combination that is
> > extremely unlikely to crash on the end user. I'd love to see the same
> > test on the same people set up by Mac people and Linux gurus. I think
> > that as this is not really a fair test, you can pretty much get any
> > answer you want.
>
> Wow, talk about hitting the nail on the head. When Microsoft pick the
> hardware their OS runs on and the software it runs with it works
> perfectly. Apple have chosen to do this strictly so they can deliver
> what people really want... stability. Rob says this is anti-
> competitive, I say this is smart.
>
> Is it anti-competitive that Sony does not legally allow you to install
> different firmware on most of their consumer kit? And if you do can
> you really expect them to support it after you've done so?
>
> Anti-competitive behaviour in my book is bribing companies to ship a
> certain configuration, or deliberately preventing certain software
> from running on your OS, both things I'm pretty sure Microsoft have
> been guilty of in the past. However, I do not consider it anti-
> competitive to retain enough control over your product so you can
> deliver the user experience your customers need.
>
> I would argue that Microsoft did not choose their goal of supporting
> every bit of hardware out there, rather it was thrust upon them while
> the industry developed. Apple specifically chose to limit the hardware
> they support, for what original reason I don't know but the end result
> is a much more stable system.
>
> Given the choice (and I was) I would pick stability over choice any
> day of the week and twice on Sunday. I need my computer to do stuff,
> not to play with. I hope (and I guess expect) Linux to get to a point
> where it's as stable and user friendly as OSX, but they'll likely
> always be playing catchup. Microsoft has a lot of work to do to
> [...]

I agree on your point about trying before bashing. I've tried Vista.
Hell, I had to use it for 2 months solid while I was working in India,
so I really got to test it out. I had more crashes on that in the 2
months I was using it than I had on Fedora in 2 years. Now, admittedly I
was working on Vista during every working hour, and I only use my Fedora
machine at weekends and evenings, but I think if you tally up the total
time, it was really not in Windows' favour. As an OS, XP was not all
that bad, but I've found I really do prefer the way Linux behaves, that
and I can get pretty much whatever software I want for free, which just
isn't always so easy with Windows.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk