Re: Re: Why MS Won't Retire Browsers -- was: Interntet Explorer 8 beater 2

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 17:27 +0200, Jochem Maas wrote:
> Boyd, Todd M. schreef:

I'm not a big fan of Windows in any of it's incarnations, but I think it
is a little unfair to compare it to the Mac OS and say that Microshaft
(as I will now refer to them) has had more time and comes out with
something not as good. Admittedly, I do think this is the case, but you
have to take into consideration the main advantage Apple has: it only
has to write an OS for a very limited set of hardware it controls. A
typical PC usually comprises of dozens of dozens of bits of kit, and
there are literally infinite hardware configurations a user can have.

I'm a big fan of Linux, but I think partly that's because I know what
I'm doing. Sure, I run into troubles, but that's because I can't leave
alone and keep tinkering! As an OS, it's very stable, and very fast.
Just today I was playing WoW and had the Windows computer crash on me,
despite it only running the game and an antivirus!

Also, to say that the number of Linux distros out is just
counter-productive to the Linux cause, well, the point is it's all about
choice. The average Joe in the street only knows (and only really needs
to know) about 2 or 3 if that. Compare this with the various "distros"
of Vista that the man-in-the-shop will try to sell you (there's 4
altogether I believe) and the picture doesn't seem to to be so straight
laced. The best part about having so many distros is that the people who
know what they're doing have the choice, because frankly there is no way
on earth anyone is going to give Debian to a Linux newbie, and if they
do they should be taken out and shot!

When you think about it though at the end of the day, despite the sheer
amount of hardware there is out there, Linux still managed to give
Windows a run for it's money, despite most of the time and code being
donated to the cause. That might be part of the reason though, everyone
spends their time trying to make things work together, rather than the
Microshaft way of trying to stop things working in order to force users
to switch to their own products. This isn't just an opinion, it's a well
documented marketing strategy they've used for years.

Anyway, that's just my 2p ;)

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk