Re: Re: Why MS Won't Retire Browsers -- was: Interntet Explorer 8 beater 2

At 12:54 AM -0600 9/15/08, Michael McGlothlin wrote:
I run an iMac with Linux and Windows in virtual machines (VMWare Fusion) as my primary work machine and whenever possible I run Linux on my servers (give or take an odd BSD, AIX, or Windows server). If left to my choice I'll always choose a Mac for a client machine. Not that Macs are perfect, I have quite a few issues with them, but they are worlds better than Windows. My biggest complaint about Macs is the up-front cost - if they could just cut it back a little it'd help a lot.

I used to be a smart-ass and reply "If you can't afford better, then don't buy it", but I don't say that anymore. :-)

However, this reminds me of an old woman I knew who was suffering from macular degeneration and wanted a laptop with a large monitor so she could email. Considering that my mother suffered from that, I advised the woman to look into buying a Mac laptop -- at the time Apple had the largest laptop monitor, but these were also expensive.

The woman said that cost was not an object. Additionally, I told her that if she bought a Mac I would hook it up and make sure that everything worked

A month later I saw her and inquired if she had bought a Mac. She replied "No I bought a DELL, Mac's were far too expensive."

Shortly after that she said that she was having trouble and asked if I would set her email up. I told her that my offer was on the condition that she had bought a Mac, for I don't work on windozes based machine. I further advised her to contact the store where she bought the machine and ask them for help.

A year or so later, I saw her again and asked "How' it going with your email?" To which she replied "I never could get it to work, so I don't do email."

Now, which machine was the most expensive -- the Mac she didn't buy or the machine that became an expensive paper weight?

There's more to expense than the just original purchase price.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------