Re: Re: Why MS Won't Retire Browsers -- was: Interntet Explorer 8 beater 2

On Sep 15, 2008, at 2:53 PM, tedd wrote:

At 12:36 PM -0500 9/15/08, Philip Thompson wrote:
On Sep 15, 2008, at 7:47 AM, tedd wrote:
There's more to expense than the just original purchase price.

tedd, I just love your storytelling. ;) If you hadn't said this, I was going to make the same argument. Initial purchase price doesn't always mean that Macs are more expensive. Just look at all the time (a huge emphasis here) and money spent dealing with windoze-based machines and software. Granted, each person will have their own experiences - some good, some not so good - but from my experience, I know that I am more efficient (and let's not forget less frustrated) when using my Mac.

If time is money, I'm losing money each time I have to deal with the inconveniences of M$ windoze.

~Philip

~Philip:

You are absolutely right. People often don't consider the time they waste as cost.

If you like my stories, here's another -- I interviewed with the HR department at Michigan State University some years back. They were wanting to upgrade the way their HR department handled all the University's HR data.

In one part of my interview they asked what I would recommend for long term storage -- I recommended both buying more hard drives for back-ups and burning DVD's for their long storage. They replied that they couldn't do CD/DVD's because they wanted something that had a longer shelf-life than just a few years. After I said "Huh?!" -- they explained that they were told that CD's and DVD's were a short- lived medium and they had to use "tape drives" which were better. That was strike one.

Later in another part of my interview, I attended a PeopleSoft presentation where PeopleSoft employees were demonstrating a new high cost HR software program that ran on windoes machines. Some 18+ high level MSU HR people were in attendance.

In the middle of the presentation, the PeopleSoft program locked the windoze machine up so tight that they had to literally pull the plug out of the wall and reboot it -- while losing all the data they had just entered. Everyone laughed and said that they all knew that such lock-ups happen every once in a while -- it goes with the territory. I didn't agree -- that was strike two.

When they finally asked me what I would recommend for their department, I said they should seriously consider replacing their aging windoze machines with something that wouldn't crash, like Macs. After all, many of the departments on campus were Mac based. That was strike three.

I was politely told that this was THE HR department of MSU and they needed serious computing power -- no way could Macs cut it.

Sometimes, you just can't beat misconceptions.

Speaking of misconceptions...

Has anyone seen the new M$ commercial where they are asking these people to review the next version of their OS. Some of the responses of the people were that they really thought this new OS was cool/neat/ whatever. Then afterwards, M$ told them it was Vista.

Society, in general, has a pre-conceived notion about how much Vista sucks. I'm not here to argue its accuracy, but it does give you a good idea about misconceptions.

Kids, the lesson of the day is: Don't knock it before you try it.

=D
~Philip