Re: What's wrong the __autoload()?

On 3/13/08, Andrés Robinet <agrobinet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry dude, RoR is still an academic toy.

Wrong.

I've worked with a team of 12 or so Ruby/Rails developers rewriting a
Java/Oracle electronic medical record to use Rails/PostgreSQL instead.
 Hundreds of tables in a real-life app for real-world electronic
medical records.  I have 6 significant Rails projects of my own I
still work on and maintain.  None of those are in acedemia.

But in academia, just in the last 6 months I've rolled out a heart
drug study for young heart surgery patients.  The app services 21
university medical centers worldwide.  It uses Oracle and has around
60+ tables.  I alone coded the app in about 6 weeks.

Currently I'm working on another drug study with two other developers,
again in Rails using Oracle.

What you call a toy I call the most useful tool I've ever had the
pleasure of using.

> And not the most successful one, since
>  I've heard people talking like you back in 2005. Ruby on Rails is not new and
>  has not proved anything yet.

Obviously not everyone is smart enough to know an excellent tool when
they see one.

>  It's an arrogant language,

No, it's an OO language, and a much better OO implementation than
anything else available, except perhaps C++.

> so much arrogant that its community pretend it can
>  fix the world.

That's not _my_ claim.  But I surely wouldn't have PHP, or any of the
Rails clone frameworks written in it, appearing at the top of my
available technologies list.

> Back in 2005 I was very enthusiastic and thought it could have a
>  future, but after confirming what other poster said "the RoR community is
>  insane", I didn't give a f... anymore.

They're not insane, just excited to have better tools.

>  I believe it will become some piece of *enterprise-class* piece of dust in the
>  best of scenarios.

I, of course, do not.

> In the meantime, the web moves towards PHP more and more.

Stats to back up your claim?  The last time I looked at the Apache
module stats, mod_php was on the decline.

>  Look at it this way, in 2001 M$ released the .Net Framework. It's been 7 YEARS
>  since PHP is STILL the leader and will be so for many more years. And .Net has
>  the "glorious" Visual Studio IDE, compiled code, built-in caching, and
>  idiot-proof tools, and has the BIGGEST software company behind. Do you think
>  that the work of "a man" can do much more than that? Specially, a man that has
>  the arrogance of a big Co.?

Pointing to a company and their many failures in no way makes PHP a
better tool than Ruby and Rails.

>  "In March 2007 David Heinemeier Hansson filed three Rails related trademark
>  applications to the USPTO. These applications regard the phrase "RUBY ON RAILS",
>  the word "RAILS" and the official Rails logo. As a consequence, in the summer of
>  2007 Hansson denied to Apress the permission to use the Rails logo on the cover
>  of a new Rails book written by some authoritative community members. The episode
>  gave rise to a polite protest in the Rails community. In response to this
>  criticism, Hansson made the following claims:
>  <quote>
>  I only grant promotional use [of the Rails logo] for products I'm directly
>  involved with. Such as books that I've been part of the development process for
>  or conferences where I have a say in the execution. I would most definitely seek
>  to enforce all the trademarks of Rails
>  </quote>

How is that any fucking different than Rasmus himself contacting me in
1999 telling me I had to rename my PHPLinks project because I wasn't
associated with the PHP project itself?  Pot-kettle-black.

>  Sorry, even if it was the ONE AND ONLY programming language... I will dismiss it
>  until it becomes a "business need", as I don't even trust its creator. PHP is
>  easy to deal with, it's free... and IT GETS THE JOB DONE. You mentioned
>  something about projects done on RoR you can share... why don't you show us your
>  PHP work instead?

This URL lists my many open source PHP projects:

http://destiney.com/php

Where are yours?

Here are many (PHP) sites I've worked on in the past few years:

Centerstone Behavioral Health - http://centerstone.org/
Med Center Today - http://medcentertoday.com/
Caste Contractors - http://castlecontractors.com/
Filmhouse.com - http://filmhouse.com/
EZsweeps - http://ezsweeps.com/
LuckyShop - http://ezsweeps.com/shoppingnew.php

> Maybe you like RoR more because you suck at PHP.

Maybe you're a fucking retard.

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/