Re: What's wrong the __autoload()?

On 3/12/08, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just because someone got a flashy new toy doesn't mean I want it. I've
>  got better things to do than play with flashy toys for the mere purpose
>  of playing with flashy toys. I like to use tools that get jobs done.

Translation: I'm too lazy to learn anything new since I already know PHP.

Languages come and go.  There's a reason why we no longer need a
cgi-bin and Perl to make an animated gif.  Going further, who the hell
even uses animated gifs any more?

> Ummm, I originally looked into Ruby and RoR because someone spouted off
>  "better" and "easier". After reviewing, looking at the language, trying
>  some code, reading other peoples blogs, magazine articles, searching the
>  web... I decided, using the brain I've been nurturing since I was a
>  fetus, that I preferred PHP.

Great, just so long as we're clear on the point that Ruby is better
than PHP, just not for you personally.  I'm totally fine with leaving
the discussion at the "differently preferred opinion" level.  Sounds
like a cop-out but I'm ok with your holding that position all the
same.

> But then who would confront your rhetoric and propaganda?

I do exhibit a bit of rhetoric at times, but in my defense it came
standard with my inquisitive mind.

Conversely I do not know what propaganda you speak of.  I've never
once made a specific claim in favor of Ruby that I couldn't back up
with example code.

> You're assuming that we choose PHP over RoR based on having seen a 5
>  minute tutorial. Wow, aren't you just full of assumptions.

Ok then, how many projects did you pursue before giving up and
concluding Rails or Ruby was too much effort to learn?  URL?

I will point out it's probably a good thing this same lack of effort
on your part did not occur when you began to learn PHP, otherwise we
wouldn't even be having this discussion.

> Interestingly, laziness is one of the biggest motivators of innovation.
>  Do more with less.

Well that sure as hell ain't PHP.  ROFL.  More with less, using PHP, hilarious.

/me points to SPL and laughs his ass off

> That SHOULD be part of any developers mandate... but
>  not blindly.

If by blindly you mean fun, fast, test-driven, productive development,
then yeah I guess so.

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/