Re: What's wrong the __autoload()?

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 17:05 -0500, Greg Donald wrote:
> On 3/12/08, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Just because someone got a flashy new toy doesn't mean I want it. I've
> >  got better things to do than play with flashy toys for the mere purpose
> >  of playing with flashy toys. I like to use tools that get jobs done.
>
> Translation: I'm too lazy to learn anything new since I already know PHP.
>
> Languages come and go.  There's a reason why we no longer need a
> cgi-bin and Perl to make an animated gif.  Going further, who the hell
> even uses animated gifs any more?

Hmmm, in the spirit of your lazy comment... I actually learned to do web
coding using C code, then Perl, then I moved onto PHP. I have nothing
against learning new things... I'm constantly learning... I even learned
I don't like Ruby.

> > Ummm, I originally looked into Ruby and RoR because someone spouted off
> >  "better" and "easier". After reviewing, looking at the language, trying
> >  some code, reading other peoples blogs, magazine articles, searching the
> >  web... I decided, using the brain I've been nurturing since I was a
> >  fetus, that I preferred PHP.
>
> Great, just so long as we're clear on the point that Ruby is better
> than PHP, just not for you personally.  I'm totally fine with leaving
> the discussion at the "differently preferred opinion" level.  Sounds
> like a cop-out but I'm ok with your holding that position all the
> same.

It's not a cop out. It's a choice. Whether Ruby is better than PHP
remains to be seen. There are many measurements of better. Ruby is
slower than PHP, therefore PHP is better. That's just one measurement.
So we're not clear at all on this point. But the original discussion was
more geared towards personal preference concepts of better. PHP is
better for me, because I like PHP more than I like Ruby. I happen to
like butterscotch more than I like licorice too... does that make
butterscotch better than licorice? Yes of course it does... to anyone
that like butterscotch more :)

> > But then who would confront your rhetoric and propaganda?
>
> I do exhibit a bit of rhetoric at times, but in my defense it came
> standard with my inquisitive mind.
>
> Conversely I do not know what propaganda you speak of.  I've never
> once made a specific claim in favor of Ruby that I couldn't back up
> with example code.

You're on a PHP list, we don't want your Ruby code here.

> > You're assuming that we choose PHP over RoR based on having seen a 5
> >  minute tutorial. Wow, aren't you just full of assumptions.
>
> Ok then, how many projects did you pursue before giving up and
> concluding Rails or Ruby was too much effort to learn?  URL?

You still don't get it. I didn't decide Rails or Ruby was too much
effort to learn. I decided I didn't like Ruby, and I didn't like Rails
so I didn't bother going further. Why should I work with something I
don't like? I got into programming for the sheer joy of programming and
problem solving... in the spirit of that, I will damn well sheerly enjoy
my programming and problem solving with a language I enjoy working with.
Just because you don't enjoy working with it doesn't mean everyone
shares that sentiment.

> I will point out it's probably a good thing this same lack of effort
> on your part did not occur when you began to learn PHP, otherwise we
> wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Lack of effort? LOL, I put effort where I deem it useful. Why put effort
towards a fad that you don't even like. I'd be less of a person if I
jumped on every bandwagon just to be a crowd pleaser. I'm no sheep, I
follow my own path whether you like it or not.

> > Interestingly, laziness is one of the biggest motivators of innovation.
> >  Do more with less.
>
> Well that sure as hell ain't PHP.  ROFL.  More with less, using PHP, hilarious.

Seems to me you keep claiming Ruby has all the l33t features. Therefore
by using PHP I MUST be doing more with less.

> /me points to SPL and laughs his ass off

I don't use SPL.

> > That SHOULD be part of any developers mandate... but
> >  not blindly.
>
> If by blindly you mean fun, fast, test-driven, productive development,
> then yeah I guess so.

Blindly would be those people who jumped on the RoR bandwagon and are
now arse deep in water as their ship sinks.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com