Re: What's wrong the __autoload()?

On 3/12/08, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You make it sound like this stuff is new or something.

Obviously to some it is.  Just in this thread we had a person claim to
only know PHP, C, and Java, none of which have any functional language
capabilities built in.

> Lisp and other
>  functional languages have had it for decades. Even JavaScript has it.

I'm sorry, I lost context, what missing PHP language feature are you
referring to as "it"?

>  Your analogy is also way off... ask any person without legs if they
>  think about walking.

Here, let me dumb-it-down a bit:

PHP doesn't have much in the way of meta-programming capabilities.
Therefore one would not find it a natural thought to do much
meta-programming in PHP, unless one already knew of a language where
such support exists.

A different example using the same logic: My Mustang doesn't have
4-wheel drive so I don't often think much about taking it through the
creeks and woods by my house like my old man and I do in his Bronco
that does have 4-wheel drive.  A person who has never climbed a really
steep hill or ran through a waist-high creek in a 4-wheel drive auto
might think such a thing impossible if they were unaware of 4-wheel
drive.

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/