Re: Re: Posting Summary for Week Ending 18 January, 2008:php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Robert Cummings wrote:
I understand what you are thinking, but the fact
remains your address is already public for having posted to the list. It
seems you are getting bent out of shape because you aren't grasping this
fact. Dan hasn't done anything wrong nor does he owe any apologies or
concessions.

I am not naive enough to think that my email address would have remained secret if Dan hadn't published the list. Unfortunately, this is the only newsgroup out of more than 20 that I regularly monitor or contribute to that exposes individual addresses. I have tried posting in the past with a munged address, but the post was rejected. I took the risk of using an address that had been spam-free for years in the full knowledge of what might happen. I did so, because this seemed a professional list, and the address remained spam-free for about a year after my first post. It's only within the last couple of months that spam has started coming in. Whether it's this list that's been harvested, it's impossible to say.

Of course, anyone with the appropriate coding skill can harvest addresses from this list, as Dan has shown. I just don't think it's sensible for a responsible member to hand the addresses of 100 members on a plate to all and sundry. As I've said before, if Dan's response had been, "Sorry, that wasn't meant to happen," that would have been the end of it.

And now this really must be the end of it.

__
David Powers