Re: Re: Posting Summary for Week Ending 18 January, 2008: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 20 Jan 2008, at 17:49, David Powers wrote:
Andrés Robinet wrote:
3 - I don't like the attitude of both Dan and David. IMHO, David thinks the issue is more severe than it is, and Dan just won't recognize that mangling email addresses is kind of a (arguably also) "standard practice". No public apologize is needed, but maybe "Yeah, I just didn't consider that" would be enough.

Well said, Andrés. This has been blown out of all proportion by the sarcastic response I got from Dan, followed up by a group of his friends trying to make out the the problem was all of my own making. If the response had been, "Shucks, sorry, I'll mangle the addresses (or leave them out) in future," that would have been an end of it. Instead, Dan and his friends decided that attack was the best form of defence, calling me names and questioning my integrity.

But what if everyone's addresses had been gathered by someone with a less innocent intent than Dan's statistics?

Therein lies the crux of the matter. Dan was able to gather the addresses without someone else publishing them in the way he did. The list is public, anyone can join it, so there is nothing stopping a spammer from collecting addresses in the same way. What Dan did has certainly not made it any easier for spammers to get your address.

You seem unable to accept that you are the one that put your email address out there for anyone to collect. If you can't understand that then there is indeed no point in continuing the conversation.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/