Re: Re: Newbie asks about multi-lingual website strategies

tedd wrote:
> At 12:56 AM +0100 11/28/07, Jochem Maas wrote:
>> Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>>  tedd wrote:

>>  >
>>  > Sorry Tedd, but I'm not sure where the browser sniffing stuff came in.
>>>  IE and FF both offer a UI to input the user's preferred language, it's
>>>  an HTTP standard thing and nothign to do with user agents string
>>>  parsing. It uses the Accept-Language header sent with http requests to
>>>  detect the language. It's quite standard but problems usually crop
>>> up in
>>>  e.g. Australia and the UK where a lot of people leave the default en-US
>>>  language when en-GB or en-AU would be better. Again it's not infallible
>>>  but it's a fairly good starting point.
>>
>> ditto.
>
> So, sniffing the browser to determine language isn't the same as browser
> sniffing -- OK.

there is no sniffing of the browser - merely a case of parsing the contents of
the Accept-Language header if the browser sent it along with the request regardless
of what browser is being used.

there is no reason to assume that anyone would want to spoof the Accept-Language header
to contain something that doesn't correspond with what the user wants ... why set japanese
as a preferred language if you don't speak it? and if they do do that and end up getting a
site in japanese then really that is the users problem not the site developers.

it not the same as ouput different content/layout/etc based on the UserAgent string -
which is known to be spoofed in order to combat idiot developers attempts to force
people to use certain browser (for whatever reason)

I mean, we don't assume that the requested URL is not what the user really wanted?
e.g. user requests example.com/foo.php but we know that it's likely to be spoofed so
we'll help out and server them example.com/bar.php ???

besides which I did state that using Accept-Language header to determine a [probable]
suitable language should be done in addition to offering the user an explicit language
selection mechanism.

lastly I think using GEO-IP services to determine location and thereby an implied
language is worthless in general - I can be sitting anywhere on the planet and still want
to view content in Dutch, not to mention things like global corporate gateways, anonymous
proxies, etc, etc. The exception to this could be when the website in question is specifically
offering localised data (e.g. find me a restaurant/garage/whatever in Rotterdam)

> Sorry, my bad.

no need for the sarcasm Tedd, seems we have differing opinions on this - although my gut
feeling is that your hung up on something that's not strictly relevant in this situation.

:-)