Re: Re: Newbie asks about multi-lingual website strategies

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> tedd wrote:

> Sorry Tedd, but I'm not sure where the browser sniffing stuff came in.
> IE and FF both offer a UI to input the user's preferred language, it's
> an HTTP standard thing and nothign to do with user agents string
> parsing. It uses the Accept-Language header sent with http requests to
> detect the language. It's quite standard but problems usually crop up in
> e.g. Australia and the UK where a lot of people leave the default en-US
> language when en-GB or en-AU would be better. Again it's not infallible
> but it's a fairly good starting point.

ditto.

with regard to 'en-GB' and the like - that's easy enough to match.
(the snippet I offered gave one one to do this)

secondly I don't consider it my problem if the user has there preferred
language set to swahili when they don't even speak that language
(besides which my site probably won't be offering swahili anyway).