Re: Newbie asks about multi-lingual website strategies

At 11:05 PM +0100 11/27/07, Jochem Maas wrote:
tedd wrote:

 > If it were me, I wouldn't use any problematic browser detects schemes
 (they don't work) or any of that high-thought stuff -- it's beyond me.

whether it's beyond you or not only you can judge, but I disagree that it's
problematic. I should note that I recommend using browser language preference
detection (as per my previous post) as a means to initially select a [hopefully]
suitable language BUT that this should be done in addition to offer the user
an explicit mechanism for language selection.

My "beyond me" statement was meant in jest, but browser sniffing is notorious for being inaccurate and the practice is highly controversial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_sniffing

If you're going to permit the user to select his language, then what difference does it make what language you choose first? IMO, you would be better off to keep a record of the languages chosen and then present to a new user the highest ranking one first.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------