Re: Beginner Tutorials for using CLASSES in PHP4

On 10/10/07, Tony Marston <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ""Nathan Nobbe"" <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > On 10/9/07, Tony Marston <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>

> >> ""Nathan Nobbe"" <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> >> implement
> be

> youre
> >>
> >> When I say that I do not use design patterns I mean that I do not try
> >> implemet as many design patterns as possible,
> >

> > i never suggested any one do that nor did i suggest that i do that.
> >
> > and I certainly do not litter
> >> my conversations with this pattern or that pattern.
> >
> > then  you failed to grasp one of the most important concepts about
> design
> > patterns.
> > they provide a common vocabulary to allow designers to talk about
> > implementing
> > systems at a high level without having to waste time talking about
> > specific
> > details.
>
> Yes, but many of today's programmers regard design patterns with a
> religious
> zeal which borders on fanaticism. Such people cannot bring anything of
> value
> to the conversation.

many is a generalization; i have never suggested that patterns be used
without regard
or care.

> In the whole of my
> >> career there have only ever been two patterns that I have read about
> and
> >> subsequently sought to implement, and thoose are the Three Tier
> >> Architecture
> >> and the Singleton. The fact that my framework contains an example of
> MVC
> >> is
> >> pure coincidence. It just happened that way. It was only after someone
> >> else
> >> looked at my code and said "You've implemented the MVC pattern" that I
> >> read
> >> about it and discovered that it was a perfect match. I certainly did
> not
> >> read about MVC and then try to implement it.
> >

> > that is very common.  many if not most people implement patterns all the
> > time and dont realize it.
>
> Just because someone may see a pattern in my code does not mean that I
> first
> studied the pattern and then implemented it.

precisely

I wrote the code without any
> knowledge of the pattern, therefore I did not use the pattern when writing
> my code.

 you used the pattern and you didnt realize it until later; like i said;
very common.

> one benefit of patterns is people can communicate at the pattern
> > level.  recognition is powerful as well; if you happen to see a pattern
> > when
> > you are working out a design; the pieces just fall into place; or at
> least
> > you have
> > a road map.
>
> I don't waste my time talking about design patterns to the pattern
> zealots.
> It is as productive as attempting to have a theological discussion with a
> religeous fanatic - a total waste of time unless you share their point of
> view.
>
> Too many of today's programmers can only "see" patterns after they have
> read
> about them in a book. They vie with each other to see how many patterns
> they
> can juggle at the same time, or complain that someone els'e implementation
> of a particular pattern is "unsound" or "impure".
>
> >> and if radicore has a single point of entry you are using a front
> >> controller.
> >>
> >> I do not have a single point entry. Each page has its own controller,
> so
> >> have hundreds of page controllers. A single front controller is
> something
> >> that is used in compiled languages.
> >

> > its also used heavily in php; take a look at code igniter for a first
> > example.
>
> Just because people use font controllers in PHP does not make them a good
> thing. I personally think they are crap.

i prefer them over multiple points of entry; apparently code igniter does
too.

>> might want to knock the dust off the old design pattern books just to jog
> >>
> >> I've put my books of design patterns on the top shelf where they shall
> >> remain untouched as they contain nothing of use to me. They may give
> >> hints
> >> to novices, but I am no longer a novice. I no longer need training
> wheels
> >> on my bicycle, so why do I need books on design patterns?
> >

> > ill be honest; i like what youve done w/ xsl, you even taught me some
> > things; but when it comes to oop; well i think you should get the books
> > back down from the top shelf.
> >
> > -nathan
> >

> Why? What is wrong with my implementation of OOP? Surely I have used
> encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism to increase code reuse and
> decrease maintenance, therefore my implementation can only be regarded as
> effective. The fact that you don't like my style is your problem, not
> mine.

because you keep saying you dont see the benefits of the features in php5;
repeatedly you ask why, why, why; why interfaces for example.
as i have suggested; pick up a book and read about it.

-nathan