Re: Beginner Tutorials for using CLASSES in PHP4

""Nathan Nobbe"" <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On 10/9/07, Tony Marston <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> ""Nathan Nobbe"" <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>> implement
>> >>

>> > your site talks about the use of mvc in radicore so we can assume youre
>> > using at least one design pattern;
>>
>> When I say that I do not use design patterns I mean that I do not try to
>> implemet as many design patterns as possible,
>

> i never suggested any one do that nor did i suggest that i do that.
>
> and I certainly do not litter
>> my conversations with this pattern or that pattern.
>
> then  you failed to grasp one of the most important concepts about design
> patterns.
> they provide a common vocabulary to allow designers to talk about
> implementing
> systems at a high level without having to waste time talking about
> specific
> details.

Yes, but many of today's programmers regard design patterns with a religious
zeal which borders on fanaticism. Such people cannot bring anything of value
to the conversation.

> In the whole of my
>> career there have only ever been two patterns that I have read about and
>> subsequently sought to implement, and thoose are the Three Tier
>> Architecture
>> and the Singleton. The fact that my framework contains an example of MVC
>> is
>> pure coincidence. It just happened that way. It was only after someone
>> else
>> looked at my code and said "You've implemented the MVC pattern" that I
>> read
>> about it and discovered that it was a perfect match. I certainly did not
>> read about MVC and then try to implement it.
>

> that is very common.  many if not most people implement patterns all the
> time and dont realize it.

Just because someone may see a pattern in my code does not mean that I first
studied the pattern and then implemented it. I wrote the code without any
knowledge of the pattern, therefore I did not use the pattern when writing
my code.

> one benefit of patterns is people can communicate at the pattern
> level.  recognition is powerful as well; if you happen to see a pattern
> when
> you are working out a design; the pieces just fall into place; or at least
> you have
> a road map.

I don't waste my time talking about design patterns to the pattern zealots.
It is as productive as attempting to have a theological discussion with a
religeous fanatic - a total waste of time unless you share their point of
view.

Too many of today's programmers can only "see" patterns after they have read
about them in a book. They vie with each other to see how many patterns they
can juggle at the same time, or complain that someone els'e implementation
of a particular pattern is "unsound" or "impure".

>> and if radicore has a single point of entry you are using a front
>> controller.
>>
>> I do not have a single point entry. Each page has its own controller, so
>> have hundreds of page controllers. A single front controller is something
>> that is used in compiled languages.
>

> its also used heavily in php; take a look at code igniter for a first
> example.

Just because people use font controllers in PHP does not make them a good
thing. I personally think they are crap.

>> might want to knock the dust off the old design pattern books just to jog
>> > your memory:)
>>
>> I've put my books of design patterns on the top shelf where they shall
>> remain untouched as they contain nothing of use to me. They may give
>> hints
>> to novices, but I am no longer a novice. I no longer need training wheels
>> on my bicycle, so why do I need books on design patterns?
>

> ill be honest; i like what youve done w/ xsl, you even taught me some
> things; but when it comes to oop; well i think you should get the books
> back down from the top shelf.
>
> -nathan

Why? What is wrong with my implementation of OOP? Surely I have used
encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism to increase code reuse and
decrease maintenance, therefore my implementation can only be regarded as
effective. The fact that you don't like my style is your problem, not mine.

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net