Re: Beginner Tutorials for using CLASSES in PHP4

On 10/9/07, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why would I use an interface? :)

because inheritance is not always optimal.

What's the problem that's outlined? I'm too lazy to go and look :|

/**
 * CI_BASE - For PHP 4
 *
 * This file is used only when CodeIgniter is being run under PHP 4.
 *
 * In order to allow CI to work under PHP 4 we had to make the Loader class
 * the parent of the Controller Base class.  It's the only way we can
 * enable functions like $this->load->library('email') to instantiate
 * classes that can then be used within controllers as $this->email->send()
 *
 * PHP 4 also has trouble referencing the CI super object within application
 * constructors since objects do not exist until the class is fully
 * instantiated.  Basically PHP 4 sucks...
 *
 * Since PHP 5 doesn't suffer from this problem so we load one of
 * two files based on the version of PHP being run.
 *
 * @package        CodeIgniter
 * @subpackage    codeigniter
 * @category    front-controller