Re: Re: Pirate PHP books online?

tedd wrote:
At 8:50 PM -0500 7/29/07, Larry Garfield wrote:
If copyright infringement were "taking something without paying for it", then anyone who's ever installed PHP is guilty of copyright infringement unless
they sent Rasmus a check.  That is, of course, nonsense.

No, it's not nonsense -- if the terms that Rasmus required were that we had to send him a check, then that's what his terms would have been -- why must I state the obvious?

Fortunately, for all of us, his terms did not require that we had to send him a check so that's the reason why we don't have to send him a check -- again, why must I state the obvious?

Copyright exists to prevent unauthorised *usage* of material. It does not exist to prevent the unauthorised taking of instances of that material - that's what the laws regarding theft are for.

This is the fundamental difference between copyright infringement and theft. Usage is not ownership, and you cannot steal usage.

According to Thames Valley Police here in the UK... "The basic legal definition of theft is 'the dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving that person of it'."[1] How can that possibly apply to copyrighted material? By infringing copyright you are not permanently depriving the author/publisher/anyone of it.

You have a right to your belief, but that doesn't make your belief right.

This works both ways.

Your position that copyright infringement is not stealing is fundamentally flawed.

How? Nobody is not being permanently deprived of the content you are using in an unauthorised fashion.

"Digital Restriction Management" software that makes even Fair Use a
felony?  Retroactively extending copyright terms?  Making experimentation
with either art or technology either prohibited or prohibitively expensive?
Yes, broken.

Larry: Fair use exists in the US, it does not exist in a lot of other countries and whether it should exist at all is not relevant to this discussion.

Also, the duration of copyright protection could not have less to do with whether it can accurately be called theft or not. And I think you'll find that patents prevent experimentation with either art or technology.

It's only broken for those who want to infringe on other's work product without paying for it, which includes getting permission.

That's a rediculous statement. Larry is not saying that there should not be any protection for creative work, he's just saying that the current system does not operate as well as it could. The main reason for this is that the world changes faster than the law. But again, this is not really relevant to the discussion.

As many people in this thread have already stated, most artists/authors don't
actually benefit from this system.

Bullshit -- nobody has said that.

Additionally, artists/authors would certainly not benefit from your point of view. Everything is open source with no responsibility to the author -- it all up for grabs -- if you can get it, then woo ho it's yours. Yeah, like that will work. Is that what you're advocating? Because if you don't recognize copyright infringement as stealing, then you are advocating stealing by calling it something else.

I don't believe Larry suggested everything should be "open source with no responsibility to the author". All he's saying, and I agree, is that the current copyright system is not perfect and need to be reviewed.

I dare say that copyright infringement is not a mortal sin.

Stealing is! And calling it by any other name doesn't get around that fact.

But it's not stealing. We talk about "stealing an idea" but in reality that's not possible. Please tell me you can see that.

At every point, I have pointed out what the law actually says, and why it says
it.

Again, bullshit. The spirit of the law is to prevent the stealing of copyrighted material. Even the definition of "stealing" is defined as taking another person property without permission and violating his legal rights of ownership.

You're trying to prove that copyright infringement is stealing by using the phrase "stealing of copyrighted material". The legal definition of stealing does not allow it to be used like this.

Now, you want to confuse the issue by saying "copyright infringement" is duplicating something authored without the permission of the copyright holder, but it's not stealing -- instead, it's violating his rights of ownership, which has the same definition as does the act of stealing.

You cannot "own" copyrighted material. You have control over it, not ownership.

Stealing: taking another person property without permission and violating his legal rights of ownership.

Copyright infringement: taking another person property without permission and violating his legal rights of ownership.

I don't see much difference.

That's because you wrote the definitions. More accurately...

Stealing: the dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving that person of it

Copyright infringement: using material created by another person that is under copyright protection without that persons permission

Copyright is not property, it's a legal protection.

And for that, I am accused of having no morality and values.

I don't think anyone has accused you of that, but saying what you have, leaves us with the obvious conclusion that you don't recognize copyright infringement as stealing -- and that does cast a long shadow as to morality and values.

This is not an issue of morality. Whether you believe creative works should be protected or not doesn't change the fact that legally speaking copyright infringement is not the same as stealing. Likewise it does not matter if you believe copyright infringement is a moral sin (whatever your definition of a moral sin is).

Legally speaking, and I'd love to see a legal reference that disputes this, copyright infringement is not stealing.

PS: I said I wouldn't get back into this argument, but your claims are just absurd.

In my opinion so are yours. This is not an issue of morality, it's a simple issue of language. Think about this... if I were to be accused of copyright theft, surely I've stolen the right to control the material because it's the control that copyright provides, not the material itself. That simple 2-word phrase makes no sense at all. Here's hoping that made my point of view a bit clearer.

-Stut

[1] http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/reduction/saferhomes/safehome/safe1.htm

--
http://stut.net/