Re: Re: Pirate PHP books online?

At 8:50 PM -0500 7/29/07, Larry Garfield wrote:
You can call whatever you want anything you want, but that doesn't make it
true.  For instance, no, copyright infringement is NOT "taking something
without paying for it".  Copyright infringement is duplicating "an expression
of an idea that is fixed in a medium" without the permission of the copyright
holder.  Money doesn't enter into it.

PERMISSION !!!   And that's the point of this entire thread.

You BUY a car, then society says you have permission to use it.

You STEAL a car, then society says that you don't have permission to use it.

Terms terms of "BUY" are expressly stated in no matter what you use, including all of what's been discussed in this thread. The opposite of BUYING is STEALING (excluding of course that you choose to do neither).

Our entire legal system is built on allowing (granting permission) certain actions and not allowing (not granting permission) other actions.

You do not have permission to steal. And if someone has not granted you the permission to use their whatever and you do use their whatever, then that's stealing.

If copyright infringement were "taking something without paying for it", then
anyone who's ever installed PHP is guilty of copyright infringement unless
they sent Rasmus a check.  That is, of course, nonsense.

No, it's not nonsense -- if the terms that Rasmus required were that we had to send him a check, then that's what his terms would have been -- why must I state the obvious?

Fortunately, for all of us, his terms did not require that we had to send him a check so that's the reason why we don't have to send him a check -- again, why must I state the obvious?

A great many people -- myself included but also the Creative Commons folks,
the FSF, many open source developers, and many others -- believe the current
system of copyright law to be fundamentally flawed.

You have a right to your belief, but that doesn't make your belief right.

Your position that copyright infringement is not stealing is fundamentally flawed.

And, I doubt that the organizations you site actually agree with you.

Not that we shouldn't have copyright, but that the current form of copyright
is broken. A work restricted for an entire generation after the original author is
dead?

What about descendants of the author? When anyone dies, their descendants have a rightful claim on their parent's assets -- it been that way since the dawn of mankind. Do you think you know better than the practice of thousands of generations?

"Digital Restriction Management" software that makes even Fair Use a
felony?  Retroactively extending copyright terms?  Making experimentation
with either art or technology either prohibited or prohibitively expensive?
Yes, broken.

It's only broken for those who want to infringe on other's work product without paying for it, which includes getting permission.

As many people in this thread have already stated, most artists/authors don't
actually benefit from this system.

Bullshit -- nobody has said that.

Additionally, artists/authors would certainly not benefit from your point of view. Everything is open source with no responsibility to the author -- it all up for grabs -- if you can get it, then woo ho it's yours. Yeah, like that will work. Is that what you're advocating? Because if you don't recognize copyright infringement as stealing, then you are advocating stealing by calling it something else.

The public certainly doesn't.

The public most certainly does -- they get the "best" product that they can afford AND there is incentive for people to produce such works for hire. The entertain industry is a prime example -- do you think you would get the caliber of movies we do without incentive? And that incentive includes copyright infringement laws which helps stop people from STEALING their work.

Under your view, they do it for grins so that others raid freely and without prejudice all other's works because it's not stealing. Is that what you're supporting? Because if you don't recognize copyright infringement as stealing, then you are supporting that practice.

 I dare say that copyright infringement is not a mortal sin.

Stealing is! And calling it by any other name doesn't get around that fact.

At every point, I have pointed out what the law actually says, and why it says
it.

Again, bullshit. The spirit of the law is to prevent the stealing of copyrighted material. Even the definition of "stealing" is defined as taking another person property without permission and violating his legal rights of ownership.

Now, you want to confuse the issue by saying "copyright infringement" is duplicating something authored without the permission of the copyright holder, but it's not stealing -- instead, it's violating his rights of ownership, which has the same definition as does the act of stealing.

Stealing: taking another person property without permission and violating his legal rights of ownership.

Copyright infringement: taking another person property without permission and violating his legal rights of ownership.

I don't see much difference.

And for that, I am accused of having no morality and values.

I don't think anyone has accused you of that, but saying what you have, leaves us with the obvious conclusion that you don't recognize copyright infringement as stealing -- and that does cast a long shadow as to morality and values.

tedd

PS: I said I wouldn't get back into this argument, but your claims are just absurd.
--
-------