Re: Re: Pirate PHP books online?

On 29/07/07, Larry Garfield <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1) Something can be illegal without it being theft.  The idea that "if it's
> not theft then it must be OK" is the bullshit argument that I am pointing out
> as bullshit.

That's a valid point, but you are playing lawyer's games. "It's not
theft, it's QQQ, which is different from theft in X Y and Z". Nobody
likes lawyers or their games. Call it what you will, copyright
infringement is taking something without paying for it.

> 2) No, I am not saying that copyright infringement is a good thing.  Perhaps
> you've heard of a concept called "hyperbole".  Or one called "sarcasm".  I
> was pointing out that if copyright infringement counted as "theft" from
> someone else who was paying for a licensed copy of X, then Pepsi having a
> marketing campaign counted as "theft" from Coke because of lost sales.  Both
> are equally asinine statements.  That's the point.

Not a valid analogy. Pepsi is not redistributing Coke's product. They
have their own product.

If you do take a php book, learn from it, and write your own then I
won't call that copyright infringement, theft, or even plagerism if
your book is sufficiently different. You could distribute it for free
via whatever medium that you like. I'd even support your efforts.

> 3) At no point in this conversation have I ever said that I engage in or
> support copyright infringement, and I am insulted that you would accuse me of
> such without any evidence or justification to back it up.

You are insinuating it. I was also accused of supporting copyright
infringement earlier in the thread, yet I was not insulted. Don't be
so sensitive. There are bigger jerks than me on the Internet. And I
was not targeting you specifically. I was targeting your comments.

> I am pointing out that you are saying things that are *factually inaccurate by
> the laws of the United States*.  And for that you accuse me of copyright
> infringement and being immoral?  That is without a doubt the most offensive
> comment I've seen on this list so far.  I would say I expect an apology, but
> given that you fall back on insulting someone's ethics just because they
> don't buy into the same lie that the media cartels have been spreading that
> you do I won't hold my breath.

I never said anything about the laws of the United States. I don't
even live there, what do I care about their laws? I am, however, a
moral human being, and that is my motivation.

> Really, I had expected more mature commentary from the adults on this list.

So did I. I expect adults to display morality and values.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/