Re: Pirate PHP books online?

On Fri, July 27, 2007 6:28 pm, Larry Garfield wrote:
> On Friday 27 July 2007, Richard Lynch wrote:
> If "indirectly affecting the market so that prices change" counts as
> stealing,
> then Coke and Pepsi build their business models around stealing from
> each
> other.
>
> Apache/PHP/MySQL are then "stealing actual money" from Microsoft,
> because they
> reduces sales of Windows, IIS, Visual Studio, and MS SQL Server.
>
> Great, so that means we should shut down Pepsi to stop them from
> stealing from
> Coke, and shut down PHP to stop them from stealing from Microsoft!

This is a laughable argument.

Infringing on copyright is simply not comparable to providing a
similar product in whatever business model or under whatever terms one
likes.

If Pepsi went and STOLE the Coke formula and started trying to sell
"Koch" you can be damn sure there would be a lawsuit.

> I would say that shows just what pathetically laughable bullshit that
> argument
> is, except that Microsoft has made it publicly before, albeit phrased
> as "defending capitalism".  You see why I find it so offensive?

Microsoft stupidity and/or behaviour is not a legitimate defense for
any activity. :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?