Re: Re: Pirate PHP books online?

On Sunday 29 July 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 29/07/07, Larry Garfield <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 1) Something can be illegal without it being theft.  The idea that "if
> > it's not theft then it must be OK" is the bullshit argument that I am
> > pointing out as bullshit.
>
> That's a valid point, but you are playing lawyer's games. "It's not
> theft, it's QQQ, which is different from theft in X Y and Z". Nobody
> likes lawyers or their games. Call it what you will, copyright
> infringement is taking something without paying for it.

You can call whatever you want anything you want, but that doesn't make it
true.  For instance, no, copyright infringement is NOT "taking something
without paying for it".  Copyright infringement is duplicating "an expression
of an idea that is fixed in a medium" without the permission of the copyright
holder.  Money doesn't enter into it.

If copyright infringement were "taking something without paying for it", then
anyone who's ever installed PHP is guilty of copyright infringement unless
they sent Rasmus a check.  That is, of course, nonsense.

> > 3) At no point in this conversation have I ever said that I engage in or
> > support copyright infringement, and I am insulted that you would accuse
> > me of such without any evidence or justification to back it up.
>
> You are insinuating it.

And you are making things up.

> I was also accused of supporting copyright
> infringement earlier in the thread, yet I was not insulted. Don't be
> so sensitive. There are bigger jerks than me on the Internet. And I
> was not targeting you specifically. I was targeting your comments.
>
> > I am pointing out that you are saying things that are *factually
> > inaccurate by the laws of the United States*.  And for that you accuse me
> > of copyright infringement and being immoral?  That is without a doubt the
> > most offensive comment I've seen on this list so far.  I would say I
> > expect an apology, but given that you fall back on insulting someone's
> > ethics just because they don't buy into the same lie that the media
> > cartels have been spreading that you do I won't hold my breath.
>
> I never said anything about the laws of the United States. I don't
> even live there, what do I care about their laws? I am, however, a
> moral human being, and that is my motivation.

I am not as familiar with the laws of Canada, the EU, or Australia (I'm
assuming you're probably in one of those), but my understanding is that the
law is similar in those countries, except less restrictive on duplication
than US laws are; at least for now.

> > Really, I had expected more mature commentary from the adults on this
> > list.
>
> So did I. I expect adults to display morality and values.

It's not just a simple lawyer game.  The distinction does make a difference.
Here's why:

A great many people -- myself included but also the Creative Commons folks,
the FSF, many open source developers, and many others -- believe the current
system of copyright law to be fundamentally flawed.  Not that we shouldn't
have copyright, but that the current form of copyright is broken.  A work
restricted for an entire generation after the original author is
dead?  "Digital Restriction Management" software that makes even Fair Use a
felony?  Retroactively extending copyright terms?  Making experimentation
with either art or technology either prohibited or prohibitively expensive?
Yes, broken.

As many people in this thread have already stated, most artists/authors don't
actually benefit from this system.  The public certainly doesn't.  The only
people who actually benefit from it are the Robert Igers (Disney President,
CEO, and COO) and Britney Spears of the world.  Those people, however, have
spent the last 40 years trying to convince people that copyright is
really "property", and therefore is a moral right as inviolate as Life,
Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness.  Witness your own reply, where you quite
openly accuse me of not having "morality and values" because I dare say that
copyright infringement is not a mortal sin.  You have bought into a lie.

And the rank-and-file artists and authors of the world do not benefit from
perpetuating that lie.  The current direction the law is moving, toward more
restrictions on the exchange of information, is bad for anyone who isn't
Robert Iger or Britney Spears.  That's why it is important to confront and
correct that lie.  It must be corrected before copyright can be sanely
reformed to benefit the public (its supposed goal) and original
artists/authors, not a select few mega-corps.

At no point have I said that copyright infringement is not illegal.

At no point have I said that copyright infringement is a good thing.

At no point have I encouraged people to engage in copyright infringement.

At every point, I have pointed out what the law actually says, and why it says
it.

And for that, I am accused of having no morality and values.

Yes, I do take this issue very seriously, as should anyone who works in an
information-creating job.

I highly recommend Larry Lessig's book "Free Culture":

http://free-culture.cc/

You can even download it free, not for money, legally, without it being
copyright infringement.  How about that.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson