Re: Re: Pirate PHP books online?

Larry Garfield wrote:
copyright infringement is NOT "taking something without paying for it". Copyright infringement is duplicating "an expression of an idea that is fixed in a medium" without the permission of the copyright holder. Money doesn't enter into it.

If the licence under which the work was released stipulates payment, money does become an integral aspect of any infringement.

If copyright infringement were "taking something without paying for it", then anyone who's ever installed PHP is guilty of copyright infringement unless they sent Rasmus a check. That is, of course, nonsense.

This is a nonsensical comparison, because installing PHP is not an infringement of copyright. The PHP licence specifically grants the right to use and distribute PHP, as long as certain conditions are met:

http://www.php.net/license/3_01.txt

A great many people -- myself included but also the Creative Commons folks, the FSF, many open source developers, and many others -- believe the current system of copyright law to be fundamentally flawed. Not that we shouldn't have copyright, but that the current form of copyright is broken. A work restricted for an entire generation after the original author is dead? "Digital Restriction Management" software that makes even Fair Use a felony? Retroactively extending copyright terms? Making experimentation with either art or technology either prohibited or prohibitively expensive? Yes, broken.

These are excellent points, with which I basically agree.

And the rank-and-file artists and authors of the world do not benefit from perpetuating that lie. The current direction the law is moving, toward more restrictions on the exchange of information, is bad for anyone who isn't Robert Iger or Britney Spears. That's why it is important to confront and correct that lie. It must be corrected before copyright can be sanely reformed to benefit the public (its supposed goal) and original artists/authors, not a select few mega-corps.

Unfortunately, the tactics used by pirates are disproportionately harmful to rank-and-file artists and authors. I don't see the pirates simply going away if and when copyright law is amended.

At no point have I said that copyright infringement is not illegal.

At no point have I said that copyright infringement is a good thing.

At no point have I encouraged people to engage in copyright infringement.

Thank you for clarifying that.

I highly recommend Larry Lessig's book "Free Culture":
http://free-culture.cc/

You can even download it free, not for money, legally, without it being copyright infringement. How about that.

That's because he has released it under a Creative Commons licence. However, if you copy it and sell it or use in some other way for commercial gain, you break the terms of the licence.

When somebody distributes copies of my eBooks to others, they break the terms of the licence. They also deprive me of income, as do bit torrent sites that assist in that distribution. It might not be stealing in a strict legal sense, but it results in financial harm to me. So money does frequently come into it where copyright infringement is concerned.

David Powers